[Building Sakai] Moving Presence into a DIV - SAK-19129

csev csev at umich.edu
Mon Sep 13 05:17:49 PDT 2010

Nate - excellent question - I already have a note in JIRA about performance.

Honestly I am not 100% sure - so I wrote the note in the JIRA.

There are certainly ways this will perform better than the iframe approach and scenarios where it may perform worse.  That is why I (a) wrote a note in the JIRA and (b) made it so it can be turned off quickly :).

The key issue is the cost of a courier refresh versus a presence reload as well as how long folks stay in a site and how much churn there is in presence.

I would not have put it in unless I felt it were neutral or an improvement as my best guess.

/Chuck