[Building Sakai] Lombok Annotations

Earle Nietzel Earle.Nietzel at marist.edu
Tue Sep 7 12:13:57 PDT 2010

>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </plugin>I personally hate the getters/setters pattern, and know
>that most people just create them by making the fields then telling their IDE
>to generate the tons of lines of getters/setters and comments. Other JVM
>languages like groovy and scala take care of all of this accessors/mutators
>without having to write tons of code or rely on IDE autocompletion and make

Just because the code isn't visible doesn't mean that the code isn't there. A lot of these other languages are doing the very same think that libraries like lombok provide.

>coding and reading the code a lot nicer.

If it's just because you don't like looking at all the code then you can use things like folding in eclipse. Also remember that if you had some problem in any auto generated code there is another level of complexity that has been added. IMHO the door swings both ways so to me it makes sense having libraries like lombok since those who choose to use it can and those who don't are happy as well.

IMO more annotation's that provide things like Lombok (i.e. JPA, Spring annotations, AOP annotations, etc.) the better and less likely-hood we need other languages (i.e. scala). Excuse me if it seems like I am picking on scala but I think it has done a great job at pointing out areas to make Java better, as is the case with lambda support in Java 7.

Earle