[Building Sakai] PDF uploads to Resources

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Thu Sep 2 09:54:12 PDT 2010

Well there are queries you can run to *see*, but there's no straight SQL you
can run to modify it. You'd have to write some code to do it. Unfortunately
this data is encoded in a binary field (rather than text), which makes it
faster to process but not possible to modify. This is in BINARY_ENTITY in
CONTENT_RESOURCE. I wrote about this last February [1] and provided a query
for Oracle. I don't know what it would be for Mysql. You can't run a string
replace on this field because the length of each element is encoded within
the string (with unprintable characters) and if anything is changed to be
longer/shorter it will break when it reads it back. So you'd actually need
to read to de-serialize it with code and write it back. The java that does
this is in this link in DbContentService.java if you wanted to try, or it
could probably also be done in some scripted language.

An example of binary to text for a pdf file is below . . . Unfortunately for
this file it thinks that this was uploaded as application/binary as well,
instead of pdf.

CHSBRE
B/group/b11a03c0-b1a5-40d2-8617-63ad4aa968e9e/*LIS Tracking Sheet.pdf*
)org.sakaiproject.content.types.fileUpload inherited����
 d e'http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/creatore DAV:getlastmodified
20100324000103169e DAV:get*contenttype application/binary*e
SAKAI:content_priority 2e'
http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/subjecte)http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/publishere!http://purl.org/dc/terms/abstracte+http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/alternativeeCHEF:copyrightchoice
I hold copyright.e
CHEF:modifiedby$05d1fgf55-5qaw-4340-8f25-214a7e332097e!
http://purl.org/dc/terms/audiencee DAV: . . .

[1]
http://collab.sakaiproject.org/pipermail/sakai-dev/2010-February/005709.html