[Building Sakai] Possible Bug in Sakai 2.6.3 and 2.6.x

Clifton Dildy clifton at csc.uvic.ca
Fri Oct 29 16:56:06 PDT 2010

We believe we have discovered the cause of the behavior reported in my
previous email, entitled " Assignments Tool Download All and Release
Grades Link".  The Department of Computer Science, at the University of
Victoria, removes student accounts from our LDAP server if a student
drops their only CS Course and is no longer enrolled in a Computer Science.

Bulk Assignment download and Release All Grades will quietly fail if an
instructor attempts to "Download All" or "Release Grades"  with "All
Sections/Groups" selected if a student has submitted the assignment
prior to dropping the course, generating an incomplete list of student
assignments or grades.   Sakai does not generate an error in the browser
or catalina logs, the download files are just missing most of the
student assignments or grades.

By examining the database entries in the ASSIGNMENT_SUBMISSION table, we
have been able to determine that the "download all" functions fails at
the first occurrence of a assignment submission where a student who
submitted an assignment has dropped the course.  In testing, if we
manually re-populate an LDAP entry for the dropped student and re test,
then the download will successfully continue to the next incident of a
student who dropped the course and submitted an assignment.

This behavior only occurs with "All Sections/Groups".  If only a single
section is selected Sakai appears to correctly filter the assignment
results using the current active list of course participants.  It also
does not affect the Instructors view of all submitted assignments in the
web browser.

The problem is impacting our largest first year courses where we have
the most students who may only be enrolled in a single CS course.  We
are assessing the impact of changing our account deletion policies;
however that will impact other systems dependent on student enrollment
data.

We are hoping that we can find a solution for Sakai that it would not
attempt to download assignments for students no longer enrolled in the
course.

Any help would be appreciated .