[Building Sakai] FWD: Sakai & Multi-Institutional Support

Michael Feldstein michael.feldstein at oracle.com
Sat Oct 16 15:07:09 PDT 2010

The IMS LIS standard for integrating LMSs and SISs was specifically designed to support the multi-SIS use case. Each Person record coming across to the LMS with a SourcedID that includes a code for the particular SIS installation from which the record was sent. Furthermore, that ID has to be persisted in the LMS, according to the standard. So, if your SISs are using LIS to integrate with Sakai, you should be able to figure out which LDAP directory (or other identity management thingie) to authenticate against on a per-ID basis. The bit that is missing is the ability to associate multiple SourcedIDs with each other, which is what would give you single login. Failing some multi-institutional identity management effort, you could create an option for a user to do this manually.

Does that make sense?

- m