[Building Sakai] Gradebook WS for Maximum Cloud Intensity... ( or at least a moderately functional Cumulonimbus)

csev csev at umich.edu
Mon Oct 11 12:08:04 PDT 2010

Steve,

This is not likely to be *exactly* what you are looking for, but Sakai 2.8 Basic LTI also supports the return of grades from a launched tool.  There is a grade receiving service built into basic LTI according to the SimpleOutcomes protocol.

This grade receiving service is based on a simple REST-style binding to IMS Learning Information Service for Outcomes using OAuth for security.

This same service is available in Moodle and soon will be available in an Open Source building block for Blackboard and I hope to port it to ATutor before the end of the year.

I hope to get this approved as a real IMS spec - right now it is an engineering experiment.

Here is some documentation in JIRA:

https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/basiclti/trunk/basiclti-docs/resources/docs/sakai_basiclti_outcomes.doc

I also attach some design documentation and programmer materials.  Sample source to send the grades back signed using OAUTH is available for PHP if you want.

/Chuck