[Building Sakai] Gradebook WS for Maximum Cloud Intensity... ( or at least a moderately functional Cumulonimbus)

Steven Githens swgithen at mtu.edu
Mon Oct 11 09:50:00 PDT 2010

Hi Dev,

I'm curious what the current status of Web Services are for the
Gradebook/EDUServices.  I've seen the occasional GradebookWS.jws that
floats around, but I'm curious what else there is.

I'm asking in particular because iParadigms may want to connect to it in
order to do some Grademark integration, similar to what they have with
other course management systems.  In some situations they have had to
build the endpoints themselves, and in some situations they could use an
endpoint already included in the CMS.  I'm hoping that we have
something, or could easily have something that would be available for
these integrations, that you could just hand a vendor.

Whether they log in with a single shared secret, or some special admin
account, or under the individual user ID's or some other mechanism is up
for debate, and is different for the endpoints exposed by different
CMS's.  I realize there are the standard hodge podge of provisioning
questions that go along with this.

The take home message is: Do we have an endpoint robust enough like this
that the signatures could be handed to a vendor in order for them to
integrate with some external cloud service that will eventually push
grades back to the Gradebook.  And has anyone done this, without
requiring supplying a ton of patches back to be ran on the Sakai Server.

Cheers,
STeve