[Building Sakai] Google Meets Sakai

Steven Githens swgithen at mtu.edu
Thu Oct 7 11:54:28 PDT 2010

On 10/06/2010 11:58 AM, Nate Angell wrote:
> Sakaigers:
>
> In case you missed it, I blogged about rSmart's new Google Docs
> integration for Sakai, including a short demo screencast:
> http://xolotl.org/blog/xolotl/sakai-meets-google
>
> As I state in the blog, rSmart expects to contribute the integration
> to the Sakai community. We expect to release it in our upcoming 2.7.1
> version, after which you'll be able to take it for a spin on mySakai:
> http://mysakai.rsmart.com/

Neat.  Were you guys able to reuse any of the code from Sakai/GDocs from
the prototype we built a few years ago or did you need to start from
scratch? [1]

Which actually raises a good question.  Being able to write resource
plugins for Sakai 2.x is still an incredibly important thing to do, and
I'm curious what is the most straightforward way to do it these days
that people have found, since you have to interop with wacked out Sakai
session variables and request filder forwarding and whatnot?  Back then
I was using simple RSF producers to it.  I'm wondering if it could be
accomplished as well with some simple Jython/Rhino/Groovy type of
servlets that tie into all that tool forwarding, so it could be easy to
write lots of resource plugins quickly.

It was just too much scaffolding.  For instance, if it was really
lightweight to do it, you could also do lots of BLTI stuff like etherpad
in resources.

A few questions:

1) Does it cache documents at all?  So if you change something on the
Google end, and you reopen say, a PDF version of the document, you get
the regenerated one.  It would be cool, if it always kept the last
opened one available in the local Sakai storage so if you ever need to
sever your ways with the google servers, or if there is an outage in
gdocs [2] you still have at least something there.

2) Can anyone other than the original author edit the documents (does it
use Sakai Role permissions for anything other than viewing?)  I guess
does it do any sort of provisioning back and forth between Sakai and
Google?  The API was horribly mismatched the last time I checked.

Cheers,
Steve

[1]  https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/gdataintegration/
http://sgithens.blip.tv/file/1273229/