[Building Sakai] Adding data retrieved from UDP to new gradebook column

Gross,Christopher ufchrisg at ufl.edu
Mon Oct 4 12:41:49 PDT 2010

Hello!

We are attempting to add a new column to the gradebook that will contain the University-given ID number for each user.  This ID number is required for instructors to be able to submit their final grades (via another system, not Sakai).  It is currently retrieved for the user during calls to the UserDirectoryService and is placed as a key/value of the ResourceProperties object of the UserEdit object – this is done because there is no get/set method for a University ID number.  We have found the JSP file in the gradebook tool that generates the page in the gradebook and have successfully modified it to include our new column, as well as the Java class that is called when creating a spreadsheet export, but we cannot find how to pull in the directory information we need to populate it.  It is quite clear that the UDS is being called when the gradebook is accessed, however we cannot find where this is done nor how it really works because gradebook uses a completely different User interface (located in the sections tool), albeit with identical methods, from the one that is in the Sakai Kernel and for which the UserEdit object, that has access to the data we need, implements.

Does anyone have some documentation they can point us to that can explain how tools, such as gradebook, make use of the UDS?  We currently are attempting to figure out how we can access users as UserEdit objects within the gradebook tool so that we can get at the data being provided by our directory provider (FYI, we are using a custom UDP which uses DB/2 as well as pulls in this extra information).

Thanks!

--
Christopher Gross
Sakai Developer