[Building Sakai] Anyone running headless OO.org in production or pilot?

Steven Githens swgithen at mtu.edu
Mon Oct 4 07:52:10 PDT 2010

Hi all,

I'm curious if anyone here is running a headless openoffice daemon in
production or pilot in conjunction with Sakai (or even with different
project).  I'm curious about how you've added it to your deployment
setup, whether you run it on the same node as Sakai or on a different node.

It's something I'm investigating to fill in some functionality, and
curious how others have gotten it into their deployment environments,
since it's more than just a jar file to ram into tomcat.

Apache POI is nice for really specific tasks, but for anything that
needs to keep some aesthetics and be more general it seems to be the way
to go.  Google uses it for stuff, and other open source projects (like
Etherpad) use it as an engine for exporting things in various office
formats and PDF's.

What I'm currently looking at is allowing instructors in Assignments 2
to optionally edit student feedback offline in a format other than HTML
and then upload that and have the conversion be halfway decent. (which
OO.org is pretty good at).

Cheers,