[Building Sakai] Search index troubles

Warwick Chapman warwickchapman at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 13:36:02 PST 2010

Speaking of which, on Debian (and probably Ubuntu as well), setting ulimit
-n 4096 to increase from default of 1024 seems to only work for that session
for that user.

Further, while this may be obvious to some, the ulimit should be increased
for the user which runs tomcat - it is not a systemwide setting.

Setting the limit for the user in /etc/security/limits.conf does not seem to
work in Debian as the figure remains unchanged at 1024.  I'm still not
certain that I've resolved this problem, but I have placed a ulimit -n 4096
in the ~/.profile of the user that runs tomcat as well as at the stop of the
script which starts Sakai on boot in the hope that will work.

-- Warwick Bruce Chapman | +27 83 7797 094 | http://warwickchapman.com