[Building Sakai] Search index troubles

David Horwitz david.horwitz at uct.ac.za
Sun Nov 28 08:42:02 PST 2010

  Hi,

I helped Warwick trouble shoot his problem - it looked like his server
had hit a file handle limit while doing a local optimization that left
the local index in an inconsistent state. Stopping the server, deleting
the *local* index and restarting it fixed it.

The local index is set by:

localIndexBase at org.sakaiproject.search.api.JournalSettings=/usr/local/searchindex/

and defaults to {tomcat_home}sakai/indexwork/

Tip when trouble shooting search errors - go back to the first error in
your catalina.log this will indicate what caused the error rather than
the last one which indicates that the index is corrupt