[Building Sakai] LikeService

csev csev at umich.edu
Mon Nov 22 11:45:31 PST 2010

On Nov 22, 2010, at 11:41 AM, Adrian Fish wrote:

> On 22/11/2010 16:20, csev wrote:
>> I agree with Aaron's "nice" assessment.  Simple things are elegant.  And it serves as nice sample code for building EB-style services.

> I've added an api now so I can add profie2 support. The formatted profile popups are rendered server side. Still elegant though :)

I was thinking of sample code that talked with the service through EB - although an API is cool too.  By the way, many of the cool people do render server side :)

>> - It seems I can like myself :)
> You can keep a record of people who 'like' themselves and use it in vanity trials (like witch trials, only far worse).

I see you already fixed this - I figured the notion of disallowing the liking of oneself was pretty computationally trivial.  I still do like myself - I just won't be able to record that fact using your service :)

>> - It seems like I can +1 myself or anyone else as many times as I like
> That's okay I reckon. It's  a bit like Ebay's  positive review system.

Yah - I figured as much.  It would waste a lot of space and computation to stop people from doing it.  Hopefully folks won't write browser plugins to win popularity contests.   Hopefully schools won't give a free iPod to whoever gets the highest like rating.

>> - It would be simple to add a "dislike" column as well

> I wasn't sure about that. Having children teaches you that positive feedback is best :) It would be simple though.

Jut because the service supports disliking, it does not mean UI's need to put it there.

On a more serious note, can we like entities other than people?

/Chuck