[Building Sakai] LikeService

Adrian Fish a.fish at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Nov 22 08:41:11 PST 2010

On 22/11/2010 16:20, csev wrote:
> I agree with Aaron's "nice" assessment.  Simple things are elegant.  And it serves as nice sample code for building EB-style services.
I've added an api now so I can add profie2 support. The formatted
profile popups are rendered server side. Still elegant though :)
> A bit of sample code showing how to use the service  in Java might be nice.  Trivial unit tests might be nice too and would suffice for the "Java sample code".
>
> As adoption and use grows, a bit of gentle caching might be needed on the read side.   But there is a place for that and if/when it is needed it should be a simple addition.
>
> Perhaps I am misunderstanding Aaron's suggestion as to where to home this - I don't think it belongs inside the EB code base - it would be nice to keep it separate (as it currently is) and properly connected to EB like any other service.  If EB were in kernel, this probably belongs in kernel too.
>
> Some functionality questions:
>
> - It seems I can like myself :)
You can keep a record of people who 'like' themselves and use it in
vanity trials (like witch trials, only far worse).
> - It seems like I can +1 myself or anyone else as many times as I like
That's okay I reckon. It's  a bit like Ebay's  positive review system.
> - It would be simple to add a "dislike" column as well
I wasn't sure about that. Having children teaches you that positive
feedback is best :) It would be simple though.

>>> http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/CLOG/Home
>>> http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/BBB/Home

>> --
>> Aaron Zeckoski - Software Engineer - http://tinyurl.com/azprofile