[Building Sakai] Request for Comments: Sakai On Mobile Platforms

Mustansar Mehmood mustansar at rice.edu
Mon Nov 15 12:04:21 PST 2010

Hi,
  I am trying to initiate a discussion to see best ways to present sakai
on smart phones and current state of affairs. There are primarily three
options I guess.

1-Using sakai from browser with a new presentation layer targeted for
smaller screens of smart phones.
   I have noticed that some work has been done on this direction.
Considering many phones display a touchscreen keyboard on the screen
leaving even smaller space for the content display/review. I am not sure
how ready this project is and how far are we on the effort. Would love
to know the status to adjust my expectations.

2-Multiple applications with limited functionality like posting a
discussion comment, new assignment/grade availability notification from
courses being tracked etc.Here multiple applications may need to be
written to address major smart phone platforms i.e iphone, android, and
blackberry etc.

3-A third approach where a combination of both may work depending on
nature of the task i.e delivery/consumption of content.

If there is any work being done by individual institutions on any of
those perhaps there is a chance that more than one schools could benefit
from the work and possibly share the development/design ideas/workload.
Regards,
Mustansar

--
Mustansar Mehmood
Educational System Developer&  Integrator

Information Technology
6100 Main St. MS 119
Houston Texas 77005

Phone:(713)348-2523
Fax  :(713)348 6099
email:mustansar at rice.edu

I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, when,you  looked at it in the right way, did not become still more complicated.
     -- Poul Anderson