[Building Sakai] Gradebook - assigments problems.

Magnus Jonsson Magnus.Jonsson at umdac.umu.se
Wed May 26 06:57:53 PDT 2010

Hello!

We have a problem with the interaction from assignments to gradebook (sakai 2.6)

The database scripts from gradebook states that the POINTS_EARNED column in GB_GRADE_RECORD_T tables is created as ''double precision''.
When hibernate creates the table it is created as VARCHAR(255).

Is the column is double we see a strange behavior that gives strange points to the students.

This is how we reproduce the behavior:

First create a gradebook item with grade entry as points max point set to 100 (any value should do).
Second create an assignment with grade scale points (max point 100) and associate the assignment with the existing gradebook entry just created.

Now grade the assignment (in Assigments) for a student and set it to say 50. We end up with the score 5.0 instead of 50 (50.0).

We have traced this down into the part in assignments where the value is read from gradebook as a value of 50 and not 50.0 as it would have been if the database was of varchar.

Is it safe to alter the table into varchar?
What is the correct column definition for POINTS_EARNED?

Is there anyone else out there that have run into this problem before?

/M

--
Magnus Jonsson, Developer, Umdac, Umeå universitet