[Building Sakai] 2.8 potential scope

Clay Fenlason clay.fenlason at et.gatech.edu
Tue May 25 06:15:24 PDT 2010

I'm reviewing a number of likely or potential product changes for a
2.8, as raw material for a series of discussions leading into project
coordination meetings in Denver. I'm going to think out loud on a few
of these topics, and ask for people to chime in on this brainstorming.
I know we'll want to look at process improvements as well, but for the
moment I'd like to focus on code/feature changes.

CKEditor: replacing fckeditor with ckeditor came up late last year,
and at the time it seemed desirable both for technical stability and
accessibility reasons. I don't have a good grasp on how difficult the
work would be to work this change through in all tools, or who could
do it. Is it still the consensus view that this would be a good move,
and is anyone in a position to take on this work?

Deprecations: a number of items were raised by the maintenance team
earlier this year, and that list should probably be refreshed and
considered.

Security changes: while treating security bugs for 2.7, a number of
security changes were proposed that were too ambitious to consider for
2.7 itself, but would be good to carry out given space and time.
Noah's also been spearheading comprehensive dialogue on shoring
ourselves up against cross-scripting attack vectors, among other
things. It seems a ripe occasion to make this a theme for some
coordinated work.

LTI producers?: the success of hybrid mode experimentation using LTI
suggests we might make real progress for community migrations paths
and early S3 adoption. I may be wrong about this, but I'm under the
impression that we'd want to write LTI producers at the tool-level in
2.x, and some of them may be appropriate for 2.8.

New tools: the leading candidate right now seems to be assignment 2,
but there are open questions about its timeline and we'd have to think
through implications for what happens with the legacy assignments
tool. OpenSyllabus may be another, but I don't have a recent update on
its status.

Other things? What else has been committed or do people have in the pipeline?

TIA,
Clay