[Building Sakai] file_size column in content_resouce and dropping XML serialisation?

Matthew Buckett matthew.buckett at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue May 18 07:32:16 PDT 2010

I was looking generating a few reports and noticed that we have some
rows in CONTENT_RESOURCE where the file_size is NULL.

SELECT  FILE_SIZE IS NULL, COUNT(*) FROM CONTENT_RESOURCE GROUP BY 1;

                 0    98115
                 1     2450

In the rows with a null file size it seems that binary_entity is also
NULL. I think this is because we opted to just run in "Dual Mode" on
our upgrade to 2.5, here new resources use the file_size column and
the binary entity encoding but we didn't convert the existing ones.

Is it worth forcing everyone to switch to the newer format for CHS in
a later upgrade (2.8)? It's well tested now.
- Standard performance, so schools don't risk poor performance because
of UI changes (an evolution of SAK-11003)
- Reduced code maintenance.
- Easier debugging (don't have to work out what CHS storage a site is using).

Related Links:

http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+2.5
https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/content/branches/sakai_2-5-x/readme.txt

http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-427
http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-11399
http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-11398
http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-11395
http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-11432

http://collab.sakaiproject.org/pipermail/sakai-dev/2010-April/007121.html

--
  Matthew Buckett
  VLE Developer, LTG, Oxford University Computing Services