[Building Sakai] problem with BLOB table in Sakai DB

Jim Eng jimeng at umich.edu
Tue May 11 05:48:24 PDT 2010

Hi Pat,

I can't answer your specific questions about how MySQL handles that, but I can caution that generally storing the content bodies in the database is not expected to scale very well.  Storage of content bodies in the db simplifies setup for pilots and demos, but the general recommendation is to convert to storing content bodies in the filesystem before usage is expected to put much load on that table. That said, the last time we discussed this on the list, a number of people spoke up to say they are running small instances in production and storing file bodies in the database without problems.  Maybe somebody who is doing that can give more focused advice.  My advice would be convert to filesystem storage for content bodies.

Jim