[Building Sakai] Gradebook question - Sakai-graded tests and relative weights

Wagner, Michelle R. wagnermr at iupui.edu
Wed May 5 05:55:36 PDT 2010

Hi John,
Your point is definitely a good one; unfortunately, the gradebook is not set up to support that scenario at this time.   Behind the scenes, the item weight is actually identical to the points possible value for the gradebook item.  You just see a different label in the UI based upon whether your gradebook accepts points or percentages.  In the UI, points gradebooks read "Gradebook Item Point Value" and percentage gradebooks read "Gradebook Item Relative Weight" for the same field.  This is due to the fact that all grades are stored as points in the db, regardless of the grade entry type.  If you have a percentage gradebook, the gradebook calculates the equivalent point value based upon your input "item relative weight" upon saving and just re-converts it to a percentage for display.

So it sounds like the solution to your issue may be to add options to set weighting for the gradebook items within the category (decoupled from the points possible), a feature that does not currently exist.  It seems like Gradebook2 may be supporting this scenario, but I'm not positive.

Let me know if you have additional questions or need more clarification.

Have a wonderful day,
Michelle