[Building Sakai] Upgrading to Sakai 2.7

Anthony Whyte arwhyte at umich.edu
Tue May 4 05:35:13 PDT 2010

On May 4, 2010, at 7:18 AM, Daniel Merino wrote:

> Hi everybody.
>
> We are evaluating to migrate our 2.5.3 version of Sakai to the first
> stable release of 2.7 (I suppose 2.7.1), and I have several questions
> about this.
>
> -I think that the 2.7.1 release date is about July/August, is this true?
> Or is there any change about this date?

July/August is a reasonable assumption but maintenance release timelines are contingent on a number factors including the number and type of issues encountered in the current release (security vs non-security) as well as the speed with which issues are addressed which is heavily influenced by the degree of active community participation in the bug fix, QA and release processes.

> -Are there database conversion scripts from 2.6.x to 2.7.x anywhere
> actually? I'm unable to find them in Confluence.

You can find them here as well as in the 2.7.x branch.  However, they have not been fully tested.  That works starts tomorrow.

https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/reference/trunk/docs/conversion/sakai_2_7_0_mysql_conversion.sql

> -In general terms, should it be a good idea to migrate to 2.7.1 instead
> of doing it to 2.6.2?

If you opt for the 2.7 series in July/August some might consider you an "early adopter" although 2.7.1 represents an incremental update of a minor release (2.7.0) in the 2.x series.  You won't be alone in choosing 2.7 (Rutgers is running 2.7 for instance) but those with a conservative approach to production deployments might prefer 2.6.2 (or more likely 2.6.3 in July/August).  Sakai 2.7 includes a number of additional features for tools such as assignments, Samigo and Messages and Forums as well as new tools such as IMS Basiclti, Profile2 and Site Stats (an old favorite now included in 2.7) as well as numerous bug fixes.  The kernel (1.1) also features a number of improvements over the 1.0 series.  Whether this warrants opting for 2.7 instead of 2.6 I leave it for you to decide.

Cheers,

Anthony