[Building Sakai] Need help on sakai.properties setting for Search Tool

Liu, Peter peter.liu at yale.edu
Thu Mar 25 07:52:06 PDT 2010

Hi All,

We are planning to run and use the Search Tool in our Sakai-2.6.x cluster servers.  I found that the configuration settings for the Search tool at Confluence page are a little confused (http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/SEARCH/Home ).
I am trying to set up a Search Servers/Search Client configuration in our cluster environment. Currently I have the following configuration settings as followings and it seems to work.

# Search Server #
search.enable=true
onlyIndexSearchToolSites at org.sakaiproject.search.api.SearchIndexBuilder=true
localSegmentsOnly at org.sakaiproject.search.api.SearchService.SegmentStore=true
searchServer at org.sakaiproject.search.api.SearchService=true<mailto:searchServer at org.sakaiproject.search.api.SearchService=true>

# Search Client #
search.enable=true

searchServerUrl at org.sakaiproject.search.api.SearchService=http://<host>:<port>/sakai-search-tool/xmlsearch/

search.indexbuild=false

My problem is that I am not clear what to do with the following configurations and they seem having not effect when you changes them.

1)       Nothing happen (no files created at designated location)  when you define these following two settings:

sharedSegments at org.sakaiproject.search.api.SearchService.SegmentStore=C:/tmp/searchIndexLoc/segments/
location at org.sakaiproject.search.api.SearchService.SegmentStore=C:/tmp/searchIndexLoc/segments/<mailto:location at org.sakaiproject.search.api.SearchService.SegmentStore=C:/tmp/searchIndexLoc/segments/>

2) Are these above two settings get replaced by the following two for sakai-2.6.x?

localIndexBase at org.sakaiproject.search.api.JournalSettings=${sakai.home}indexwork
sharedJournalBase at org.sakaiproject.search.api.JournalSettings=${sakai.home}searchjournal<mailto:sharedJournalBase at org.sakaiproject.search.api.JournalSettings=$%7Bsakai.home%7Dsearchjournal>

I see files are generated at this location.

3) Are the following three settings still working for Search Server/Search Client configuration? And we can changes these default values.

segmentThreshold at org.sakaiproject.search.api.SearchService.ClusterIndexStorage=20971520<mailto:segmentThreshold at org.sakaiproject.search.api.SearchService.ClusterIndexStorage=20971520>
maxSegmentSize at org.sakaiproject.search.api.SearchService.ClusterIndexStorage=1572864000
maxMegeSegmentSize at org.sakaiproject.search.api.SearchService.ClusterIndexStorage=1258291200<mailto:maxMegeSegmentSize at org.sakaiproject.search.api.SearchService.ClusterIndexStorage=1258291200>

Any help will be appreciated and Thanks a lot!

Peter Liu
Academic Media & Technology
Information Technology Services
Yale University

Office: 203 432-7867

NOTE: Yale ITS will NEVER request passwords or other personal information via email.  Messages requesting such information are fraudulent and should be deleted.