[Building Sakai] Sakai tool installer

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Mon Mar 22 07:55:42 PDT 2010

Hi Dave,

I have a proposal for the conference that I'd submitted for discussing how
the Michigan (CTools) scripts semi-automatically build customized versions
of Sakai. I also planned a followup BOF to discuss better future ways of
performing the build. I believe this topic (of easier contrib tool installs)
would be discussed at this BOF.

This is an issue (easier building of tools) that I've talked (ranted) with
Anthony Whyte about *many* times in the past. We considered the possibility
of a web installer interface where you'd select some options and download a
drop-in package to a script that an installer would run locally. Some of
what's been happening lately relating to independent releases and
core-deploy has made installing many contrib tools easier. (for 2.7.x) But
only a small set of projects are part of this group, and it still doesn't
give you an easy workflow to build and include projects from source.

This installer is something I've been (slowly) working on piecemeal, and
something that I believe we'll need to build 2.7.x locally. This will be
needed to easily and automatically make local modifications against many
tools. (and also have a correct nightly build on the QA server) Something as
easy as a "gentoo emerge" or a "pear install" would be really nice, and it
would just require a install script and a configuration file. (which we'd
either hopefully be able to automatically generate and publish)

However, I don't know if anyone else is interested. ;)

-Matthew