[Building Sakai] Deprecation Notice: kernel static covers

csev csev at umich.edu
Wed Mar 17 09:27:20 PDT 2010

-1

Covers are not harmful and the transition from K1 to K2 is a complete rewrite and of course K2 will never have covers. If K1 to K2 were some kind of "upgrade" - we should deprecate all of K1.

I personally think that excessive use of Spring when not needed is *bad practice*.   I am happy to switch to the more factory-like locator pattern - but switching to Spring injection is not a step forward IMHO in terms of code cleanliness and maintainability.  And is it not the case that K2 a completely different service model?

Don't even deprecate these.  We don't want to have so many deprecation warnings that we start to ignore them in general or turn them off in compiles - this way when there is something that *really* needs attention because a third-party jar is changing will get missed in the sea of superfluous deprecation warnings.

/Chuck