[Building Sakai] Deprecation Notice: kernel static covers

Adrian Fish a.fish at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Mar 17 04:11:56 PDT 2010

I agree that removing static covers does place a burden on current tool
maintainers. It also makes it that little bit harder to write Sakai
code. Why use all that ComponentManager or Spring stuff when you can
just use a cover?

-1 to removing them entirely
+1 to deprecating them as long as that deprecation is clearly justified

I do actually use injection or the component manager method for most of
my code, just for the record, but I still appreciate the developer
simplicity of the cover approach.

Cheers,
Adrian.

Stephen Marquard wrote:
> In the context of the static covers specifically, they are not "better APIs" than the regular APIs, they are the same. They have practical difference when you care about unit testing, etc.
>
> It may be extremely simple to convert them, but it represents time for every institution with local code that is forced to do so by their removal, which is unnecessary. So removing them is effectively imposing a tax on the Sakai community (say 100 hours or so of collective effort, possibly greater).
>
> Maintenance activities should represent a net gain of time and productivity to the community, not a net loss.
>
> Regards
> Stephen

> Hi all,
>
> What is the rough timeline for Kernel 2.0.0?
>
> The comment about web services always comes up when discussing the deprecation/removal of the static covers. In reality, converting these over to use the normal API's is extremely simple using the ComponentManager: http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-16323.
>
> Steve
>
> On 17/03/2010, at 9:26 PM, Berg, Alan wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I beg to disagree, I believe that there should be a clear predictable time between start of depreciation and end. The whole process is supposed to give time to transition from depreciated API to better API. The static covers make for complex dependencies and make unit testing difficult and so are a good case for depreciation. Therefore the question is do disagree with depreciation or the TTL.
>>
>> Alan
>>
>> Alan Berg
>> Interim QA Director - The Sakai Foundation
>>
>> Senior Developer / Quality Assurance
>> Group Education and Research Services
>> Central Computer Services
>> University of Amsterdam