[Building Sakai] gsoc project query

Ashish Mittal av_mittal at ymail.com
Wed Mar 10 06:02:52 PST 2010

Hi all,

Thanks for your guidance Mr. Amyas.

Based on the project ideas and discussions you have posted, i had a few clarifications.

Firstly i'd like to introduce myself. I am an under-graduate pursuing bachelors in CS. I have done extensive work in projects and languages (java-core and advance, C++, php, HTML/CSS, jQuery, ajax, RSS & .NET). I had also built the HTML website template for my college festival(spacethefest.com- built using html/css and much use of jquery).

I was mainly interested in the Workflow Integration and the Event Explorer project.

My concern with the Workflow integration was regarding the expected scaffolding system. It is thought upon as follows and please correct me if i am wrong:

Enhancing the existing UI to a more structured and detailed one so that it could be worked upon by the experiened and the in-experienced users and also those who were not sure on how to create the best possible page for a given set of requirements.
This would include:
-Creating sample templates and mockups(as suggested in the idea desc.).

-A variation included, creating a dynamic guide for users. This can be better described as - For a particular user depending on the category he/she chooses
(ex-teacher, student, general), we can dynamically give that person a list of best possible features he/she can include as he keeps including features and when needed. This means we will have to create a repository of all features and will have to categorize them accordingly. When the user selects a pasrticular category, that category will be selected from the repository and as the user keeps selecting features, he will be advised about related features which will match his category.

The above variation can be useful if a user is not keen on using an existing template, we could give him/her an alternative of creating his own idealistic template, by creating a dynamic structured guide for such users.
Apart from this, once the user selects the template, he will be left alone for performing further modifications. This guide will also help him to do further modifications.

I was hoping if you could throw some more light on the workflow integration describing a change on basis of your specifications for the most effective integration with Sakai.

Also, i would be glad if you could describe the helpdesk feature(of the Event Explorer project) of sakai in a few lines (its not been much time since i started getting familiarised with Sakai). This would help me in approaching with a more clear view about the required result of project.

Thanks for investing your time and concern.

Regards,
-Ashish Mittal
(av_mittal at ymail.com)

Computer Engg Student