[Building Sakai] Gradebook import/export features

DAVID ROLDAN MARTINEZ darolmar at upvnet.upv.es
Tue Mar 9 05:26:43 PST 2010

Hi all,

As it has been intensely discussed in this list last week, CSV doesn't support UTF-8 characters and this causes problems from a i18n point of view.

I'm currently working on improving import/export gradebook features but I have some doubts and I would appreciate any help you can give me.

At GB_SPREADSHEET_T table there is a field, CONTENT, to store a csv-like file. Instead I propose to store spreadsheet data in XML format. For example:
<sheet>
                <header_row>
                               <headers>
                                               <header assignmentId="ref1" value="ASSIGNMENT 1"/>
                                               <header assignmentId="refN" value="T&Q 5"/>
                               </headers>
                </header_row>

                <data>
                <row userId="user1">
                               <grades>
                                               <grade assignmentId="ref1" value="8.5"/>
                                               <grade assignmentId="refN" value="50"/>
                               </grades>
                </ row>

                <row userId="userX">
                               <grades>
                                               <grade assignmentId="ref1" value="5"/>
                                               <grade assignmentId="refN" value="10"/>
                               </grades>
                </ row>
</data>
</sheet>

In this way, we can easily parse the XML into a HSSFSheet POI element, which has no problem with UTF-8.

Before to start to coding, I would like to know what do you think about this. Of course, I would appreciate any help or guidance to solve this problem.

Thank you very much in advance.

David