[Building Sakai] GSoC 2010 projects

Amyas Phillips amyas at caret.cam.ac.uk
Tue Mar 9 01:49:24 PST 2010

It would be good for Sakai to participate as a Google Summer of Code
organisation again this year.  Org proposals have to go in this week.

To be accepted as a GSoC org we need two things:

a) ideas for student projects

b) mentors - apart from the satisfaction of mentoring, you get a t-
shirt and, if you want, an expenses-paid to the GSoC conference in
Mountain View. Mentoring depends on the project and the student but
typically takes 2-3 hours a week.

I am looking for mentors right now.

To get the ball rolling, I have brainstormed / recycled some ideas for
the Ideas list and put them in Confluence:

http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/MGT/Google+Summer+of+Code+2010+ideas+list

If you want to be a GSoC mentor, feel free to propose your own project
idea, or adapt one of these.

The way GSoC works is once Sakai has proposed some ideas and mentors,
Google decides to accept us as a GSoC org, then students apply to do
projects from our ideas list, or propose their own projects.  We get
to choose who we accept - Google will allocate us a certain number of
students, but if we don't get the right applicants we don't have to
use our full allocation.  Last year Cambridge mentored two and Toronto
mentored one.  This year Cambridge can provide admin and list support
but not so much mentoring.

Best regards,

Amyas Phillips

--