[Building Sakai] Sakai3 IM and presence capabilities

Clay Fenlason khomotso at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 10:10:57 PST 2010

Hi Adam:

I'd invite you to play around with a few accounts on the demo server.
[1] You'll discover there implemented capabilities for both chat and
presence for people in your "contacts" list - and yes, outside the
site context. I made a short video (without audio) that points out the
right areas to click on. [2]

This is not exactly the S2 notion of presence, where browsing a site
context makes you visible to other site participants in that context.
Your "contacts" are like a Skype contact list (or friends list) -
people whom you have invited to be a contact, and who have accepted. I
don't think anyone's ruled out evolving this basic design choice as we
go, but for now that's the mechanism.

I'm not aware of concrete plans for IM gateways, but again I don't
think any of the work done thus far has ruled out that possibility or
made it more difficult - it's just not a priority that anyone is
devoting development time to right now.

~Clay

[1] http://3akai.sakaiproject.org/dev.
[2] http://screencast.com/t/OWEzOTM3N2