[Building Sakai] one question about Sakai development and management

Steve Swinsburg steve.swinsburg at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 14:48:07 PDT 2010

Hi Longfei,

If your customisation requirements are fairly small and you can generally get away with 1 FTE developer, 0.2 FTE sysadmin and probably and ongoing 0.8 FTE support which might need to be bumped to 2 FTE during times of high usage/support.

At a previous institution, this was our setup for 20,000 students, however we performed intensive training for staff on campus so support was minimal.

One of the strengths of Sakai is it's pretty intuitive to use, there aren't loads of context menus that do all sorts of things so there's only a few things to click to get the job done - keeping support calls down.

If you plan on making lots of customisations, do them in a way that they might be beneficial to others in the community so they can get into the core codebase. Your upgrade path will be much easier and you'll be able to do it with one developer. Also, make use of the Sakai Foundation mSub SVN repository for tracking your local code and changes - it will make your life a lot easier.

cheers,
Steve