[Building Sakai] Add Users

Steve Swinsburg steve.swinsburg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 16:37:39 PDT 2010

Hi,

There are two simple ways to get an enterprise integration going, the web services, and Quartz.

1. If you have a reasonable number of users (under 1000) then you can use the web services and some Perl/PHP/Java/whatever-language-you-like to connect to Sakai and add users, create sites and add users to sites etc. If you have more than 1000 users, go to 2, since the webservices add some overhead, otherwise, read on.

I have a number of extremely simple and easy to follow Perl scripts that do things like create users etc:
https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib//swinsburg/webservice-scripts/

It is trivial to adjust these to create sites and add users to sites (see create-users.pl for an example), but if you want to do that, get in touch:

2. If you have more users, Sakai has a Quartz job scheduler which is essentially a cron scheduler and runs a Java class, so uses the API's directly and is extremely fast. I believe most institutions that have a level of integration with a student information system or similar, use Quartz. http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Quartz+in+Sakai

I also have a Quartz script I can give you which will synchronise users in sites, adding and removing as required, based on some external system which holds this information.

cheers,
Steve

p.s. I'm not mentioning the CourseManagement API here.