[Building Sakai] Dev/Production Setup

Brandon Davie brandondavie at mckeelacademy.com
Sat Jun 19 17:10:11 PDT 2010

Hello :-)

We are looking into using Sakai for a group of K12 charter schools. A small
pilot test of stock Sakai 2.6 took off well last term, so we¹re looking at
setting up a full production environment of stock Sakai 2.6 with the
intention of customizing Sakai at the code level.

My question relates to the type of setup that would be best for this
scenario. Let¹s say we have one production server running Debian and another
development system running OS X, which would be where any code level,
branding, etc. changes would be made. Is such a setup feasible? The ultimate
goal is to be able to develop and build Sakai on a separate machine from the
production server.

Production Server:
- Debian 5.0.4
- Java 1.5 U22
- Tomcat 5.5.29

Development System:
- OS X
- Java 1.5 U22
- Tomcat 5.5.29
- Maven 2.0.9

Using this setup, the latest maintenance branch could be pulled from the svn
repo to the development system, code level changes made, use Maven to build
and deploy to the dev system¹s Tomcat, changes tested and the resulting
$CATALINA_HOME dropped into the production server¹s Tomcat?

If you¹re wondering why these questions sound newbie, it¹s because they¹re
coming from one ;-)

Thanks!
Brandon Davie