[Building Sakai] Accessing site membership details via Entity Broker

Stephen Marquard stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Mon Jul 26 05:18:38 PDT 2010

Hi Daniel,

You could file a JIRA to align the permissions checking in the site EB with what is required (they may be too restrictive at present for your requirements), or to create a sections EB.

The EB requests would be made as the user running the tool, and therefore should not return any info which the user would not normally have access to.

Regards
Stephen

>>> Daniel Robinson <d.b.robinson at lancaster.ac.uk> 7/26/2010 2:03 PM >>>
Hi Sakai Developers,

We're currently in the process of rewriting the Roster tool using
JavaScript and TrimPath.

In order to get site membership details (user display name, user email
etc.), we've used the following entity broker method:

/direct/membership/site.json?siteId=<siteId>

However, this method generates a security exception when the current
user doesn't have the necessary permissions. Other EB methods, such as
this method of retrieving by group, also generate the same security
exception:

/direct/membership/group/<groupdId>.json

The current Roster tool uses the sections API
(org.sakaiproject.section.api) to retrieve the site membership details
it requires (which are blocked by EB), but the sections API doesn't
appear to have an entity provider.

Does anyone know a way around this or an alternative method of
accessing site membership details via EB?

Best wishes,

Daniel