[Building Sakai] How to redirect everything through a Filter

Stephen Marquard stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Tue Jul 20 23:27:52 PDT 2010

Hi Joshua,

If you want to see response time per request, you can enable debug logging in the RequestFilter to do this. It will log the start and end of each http request with elapsed time.

You can also enable some logging in Tomcat's server.xml config file, and if you're using apache as a front-end, you can enable time-to-first-byte reporting in the log format.

Regards
Stephen

>>> Joshua Swink <joshua.swink at gmail.com> 7/21/2010 2:28 AM >>>
I'd like to install a filter to intercept all incoming requests, to be
able to measure response times and performance. I have installed a
filter and it loads, but no requests are sent to it.

    <filter-mapping>
        <filter-name>LogFilter</filter-name>
        <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
    </filter-mapping>

With the above filter-mapping, the filter never gets any requests sent
through it. I assume this is because of the way Sakai already handles
filter-mapping and servlet-mapping.

Anyone have an idea how a filter can be installed into Sakai to
receive all requests first?

--
Joshua Swink
UC Merced

###
UNIVERSITY OF CAPE TOWN

This e-mail is subject to the UCT ICT policies and e-mail disclaimer published on our website at http://www.uct.ac.za/about/policies/emaildisclaimer/ or obtainable from +27 21 650 4500. This e-mail is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If the e-mail has reached you in error, please notify the author. If you are not the intended recipient of the e-mail you may not use, disclose, copy, redirect or print the content. If this e-mail is not related to the business of UCT it is sent by the sender in the sender's individual capacity.

###