[Building Sakai] Public announcements from Admin Workspace not possible?

John Leasia jleasia at umich.edu
Tue Jul 6 04:35:39 PDT 2010

The 'motd' tool in the admin site, which is used to create 'message of
the day' messages, is really the announcement tool tuned to a special
channel  - motd.
So if you look at the motd tool in the admin site (site id !admin),
using the Admin Sites tool to edit the page and then edit the tool,
you'll see the channel specified. For that channel, the announcement
tool acts special since those messages are public and there's no way to
make them not so. But if you go add another Annc tool to the admin site,
and leave it's channel blank by default, then it is using the default
channel for a site, and the Access controls show up (at least they do in
our 2.6.2 version).

There is another tool - sakai.motd - that is used to view the messages
created by the announcement tool tuned to the 'motd' channel. That
sakai.motd tool is the one typically found on the gateway page to
display the motds.

Guessing - there must be some coding in Announcements to know if the
channel is motd, and if so, force it to be public with no option to change.

John