[Building Sakai] Problem with ENTITY_PROPERTIES and ENTITY_TAG_APPLICATIONS tables

Tan Dinh Nguyen tnguyen at iupui.edu
Wed Jan 27 14:07:08 PST 2010

I am currently having error when I started my tomcat with the sakai trunk. I
am using mysql as the database for my local instance. Here is the error
message from the catalina.out:

INFO: [GenericDao] Could not execute first DDL line, skipping the rest:
StatementCallback; bad SQL grammar [CREATE TABLE ENTITY_PROPERTIES ( id
bigint(20) AUTO_INCREMENT NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY, entityRef       varchar(255)
NOT NULL, entityPrefix    varchar(255) NOT NULL, propertyName
varchar(255) NOT NULL, propertyValue   text NOT NULL, INDEX (entityRef,
entityPrefix, propertyName) )]; nested exception is
com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Specified key was too
long; max key length is 1000
bytes:com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Specified key was
too long; max key length is 1000 bytes
INFO: [GenericDao] Could not execute first DDL line, skipping the rest:
StatementCallback; bad SQL grammar [CREATE TABLE ENTITY_TAG_APPLICATIONS (
id            bigint(20) AUTO_INCREMENT NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY, entityRef
varchar(255) NOT NULL, entityPrefix    varchar(255) NOT NULL, tag
varchar(255) NOT NULL, INDEX (entityRef, entityPrefix, tag) )]; nested
exception is com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Specified
key was too long; max key length is 1000
bytes:com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Specified key was
too long; max key length is 1000 bytes

I guess the key has to be less than 1000 bytes for mysql database. I am not
familiar with these 2 tables. I assume that I can change the id to something
smaller than bigint(20). Does any one have any suggestions/comments?

Thanks,
Tan Nguyen