[Building Sakai] BasicLTI and Vyew and Sakai - A 24 Hour Integration

csev csev at umich.edu
Sun Jan 17 20:22:50 PST 2010

I just want to share some fun code I made that shows the potential for Basic LTI in Sakai and elsewhere.  Last week someone asked about Agora and Henry Hon of Vyew.com said folks might want to take a look at Vyew.  I took a look at it and working with Henry and several folks from Vyew I wrote a PHP gateway from IMS Basic LTI to the View API to do a simple integration of Vyew into Sakai using Basic LTI.

It took four hours to create the demo (the Vyew API is pretty nice - almost a perfect mapping to Basic LTI) and quickly had Vyew working in Sakai, Moodle, Blackboard, and Desire2Learn.   Screenshots attached.

My code is nice but only demo-worthy.   It could be hardened - I already sent a copy to Steve Swinsberg - so that means that a real pro is on the job now :)

I think that this nicely demonstrates how Basic LTI can get tools into LMS systems more quickly when compared to a custom integration.  In less than 24 hours, I had a working integration in all of the major LMS vendors in the market place by complying to one IMS standard.

I think that for Sakai, Basic LTI is better than LinkTool for most of the "external tool" use cases.  Here is a presentation on Basic LTI:

http://www.vimeo.com/8073453

If you are interested in Vyew - contact Henry or visit vyew.com and look at the API.  I am happy to share the work I have done as long as folks understand that it is just a start.

/Chuck