[Building Sakai] LoadRunner and collaboration

Berg, A.M. A.M.Berg at uva.nl
Thu Jan 14 23:58:49 PST 2010

Hello Martin,

Welcome.

Please follow Chris’s suggestion and move your scripts and results into a visible place, so that the community can reuse.

Currently we are using grinder and Jmeter for stress testing Sakai under fire. qa2-us.sakaiproject is under continual low level load (500,000 hits per day) for the 2.6.x-qa series and the log files are parsed every night at http://builds.sakaiproject.org/parsed_qa_logs/qa2-us.sakaiproject.org:9090/2010/01/.  Seth uses a tomcat filter to generate Apache like log files with status code and response time.

Historically, Chris Kretler from UMICH with Linda M Place have been running the now defunct performance WG. Chris is a high quality performance Engineer who I believe uses Load Runner locally. I notice that there is a Grinder project (written by Stephen Giffens)  in contrib and the scripts we are currently using can be found at:
I wrote some provisioning scripts using webservices for Stress testing which Nuno Fernandes updated to be able to upload resources remotely (https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/qa/trunk/functional/2.7/Provisioning/sitestats/README.TXT). Chris and Nuno stress tested Sitestats in the 2.7 tag series using this approach.

It is my ambition for an ever more detailed test plan to hit all QA servers and an automatic log parsing to spot error’s, this simply takes time in the short term to set up and until 2.7 is out the door, I have problems allocating that time.  At UvA (University of Amsterdam) we warm the systems up with stress tests and perform the functional tests under load. This way we get to see under performing parts of the system early and we generally find more bugs.

I will ping you off list to compare notes.

Alan

Alan Berg
Interim QA Director - The Sakai Foundation

Senior Developer / Quality Assurance
Group Education and Research Services
Central Computer Services
University of Amsterdam