[Building Sakai] SAK-17693

Berg, A.M. A.M.Berg at uva.nl
Tue Jan 12 11:14:40 PST 2010

Hi hard working developers,

Testing of the 2-5-x-qa branch and the 2-6-x-qa branch on qa1-nl and qa2-us today has shown a lot of warning information from hibernate. This is due to the version of hibernate (< 3.2.6) and the possibility that empty rulesets are not being closed.  Bryan Holladay has informatively commented the Jira. http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-17693.

Matthew Jones had previously emailed on this subject in August 2008.

"On our 2-6-x based build we're seeing a lot of warns from hibernate
fail-safe cleanups. Do we need to raise the org.hibernate log level to
error?"

http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-106
http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-12508

And apparently hibernate was fixed in version 3.2.6 released in 2007. Version 2.7 should not be effected by this issue.

A quick fix is to modify the log level. However, I do not know if the failure to close empty resultsets translates into cursors being left open on the database. I will do a quick stress test tomorrow to see if I can make qa1-nl MySQL database creak.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue? Is it just excessive logging? Comments welcome.

Alan

Alan Berg
Interim QA Director - The Sakai Foundation

Senior Developer / Quality Assurance
Group Education and Research Services
Central Computer Services
University of Amsterdam