[Building Sakai] Permission to disallow person in role to change role

Steve Swinsburg steve.swinsburg at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 15:14:48 PST 2010

Hi Carl,

Two possible parts to this:

1. The site.roleswap permission gives user's the ability to swap their roles via the dropdown in the tab bar. This is a new feature for 2.6 but only affects maintain user's by default (unless you add the permission to other roles explicitly).

2. But I think you mean in Site Info in the list of participants where you can change roles. If so, you want to disable 'site.upd.site.mbrshp' and possibly 'site.upd.grp.mbrshp' for that role. This will allow a user to view the list of participants but not add or change. This is in 2.5+.

Alternatively, take away 'site.upd' and they can't do anything in Site Info. They will need 'site.viewRoster' to see the list of participants (which you most likely already have).

Here are some related JIRA's:
http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-7768
http://bugs.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-10990

And this one which takes it a step further:
http://bugs.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-371

cheers,
Steve