[Building Sakai] Security Service

Mame-Awa Diop mame-awa.diop at hec.ca
Fri Feb 19 13:02:20 PST 2010

Hi David,

Here is a quick description of our problem: at HEC Montréal, we have
implemented the OpenSyllabus
<http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/OSYL/OpenSyllabus+Home>tool
to create and publish course outlines among other things. One of the
characteristics of  our course outlines is that they can be hierarchical
(content sharing) . This means a course outline can inherit parts of its
content from other course outlines.

In the XML representing the course outline, we reference resources of
the Resources tool.

A security problem arises when the content inherited in the course
outline (site A)  contains a reference to a resource in the parent
course outline (site B). The member of the course outline (site A) will
get a 403 error when he tries to access to this resource.

Until now I have seen 2 ways to solve the problem:

    * Add the users of the course outline to the parent site with the
      content.read permission: with this I need to do a lot a
      synchronization.
    * Extend the SecurityService to tell if to site are related by
      course outlines, the member of the child site have special access
      to the resources of the parent site: I don't know how to extend or
      implement the SecurityService.

I hope it is clear, any suggestions or possibilities to extend the
kernel to accommodate us would be appreciated and we would be glad to help.

--

Mame Awa Diop
HEC Montréal