[Building Sakai] Dialogic learning environment for Sakai

Adrian Fish a.fish at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Feb 17 01:57:31 PST 2010

Hi Mark,

Glad to hear that you like YAFT. SharePoint's forum tool was one of the
tools was influenced by whilst designing the minimal view. The different
views you mention are not currently implemented in YAFT, but they could
be. I'll try and get around to creating feature requests in JIRA later
on today.

I couldn't give you anything approaching a realistic estimate of
potential developer costs without an assessment of what functionality is
already out there. It may well be that there are several tools that when
pulled together will already go part of the way to achieving your goals.
This would be my first task: check out what's in the community, both in
core and contrib, do a gap analysis, and then you should have a clearer
idea of the amount of work needed.

You also need to factor in your timescales and decide whether Sakai 3
may be the way to go. I'm taking a pragmatic approach to this involving
writing new tools using a combination of Javascript, Trimpath and Entity
Broker, hoping that this will make more of my stuff portable to Sakai 3
when it's up and running.

Cheers,

Adrian.

--