[Building Sakai] [sakai-kernel] Version numbers.

csev csev at umich.edu
Fri Feb 5 12:19:54 PST 2010

On Feb 4, 2010, at 8:38 AM, Ian Boston wrote:

> Do you have a view on the packaging name ?
>
> org.sakaiproject.?

Again, my opinion does not matter - but since you asked...

I would *not* change this unless there was a feeling that this had become a very truly independent project with a life outside of Sakai and independent of Sakai.

And I do not see the kernel as a separate project.   I see package names as defining where to place responsibility for the code.  So we don't have com.sun and com.sunkernel - it makes no sense.

If the kernel became an apache project we would switch to org.apache - for example Hadoop is org.apache - not org.hadoop and many say hadoop is so big that it is larger than the rest of Apache combined - but the package is still org.apache.

/Chuck