[Building Sakai] [sakai-kernel] Version numbers.

Michael Korcuska mkorcuska at sakaifoundation.org
Wed Feb 3 08:43:56 PST 2010

Yes, of course, sorry.

But in this case we might be looking at the wrong bit. The underlying problem is putting a number in the name...the '1' and '2' in K1 and K2.  I know that isn't a problem for the technical naming issue you're worried about but it will have communication/clarity implications. Personally, I think it isn't a disaster to let K1 go, say, from 1.11 to 1.12 even if there is an interruption in backwards compatibility. The number of people who need to worry about things like that is relatively small and we can handle the communication.  It is better, in my mind, than trying to explain the differences between K1 v2.0 and K2 v1.0 to those trying to get their arms around Sakai.

The only way out of this, long term, is to stop putting numbers into our release names. That gives the flexibility everyone wants.
While I think it unlikely that K1 will undergo a *major* change (note I'm not disagreeing with David's point that narrow changes to backward compatibility are possible or even likely), the likelihood that K2 undergoes some substantial change in the next few years is substantially higher.  So we should imagine a K2 v2.0.  Below I said that would be K3, but now I'm not so sure. I guess I'd be interested in what people think about giving proper names to K1 and K2 and paying the communication cost now before we dig ourselves more deeply into the current structure. Even going to letters (SKA and SKB) would help matters.

So this is risking becoming a "what color should the bike shed" be conversation. But...WDYT? Should we find names for these things?

Michael