[Building Sakai] Help Required

Mark Norton markjnorton at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 21 06:05:55 PST 2010

Environment variables are set in different places.  The command you show
"export MAVEN_OPTS ..." is intended to be put in a Linux resource file
such as .bashrc.  On a windows machine, you can set this using Settings
 > Control Panel > System > Advanced > Environment Variables.  After
setting it, be sure to open a new CMD window or the settings won't be
present.

As for Maven missing some files, it seems unlikely to me that you'd get
a SUCCESS build if you were missing files.  It may be possible that what
you are seeing is Maven cycling through it's list of repositories.  Some
of the artifacts used by Sakai are present on more than one Maven
repository.  If not present in one, it cycles to the next until it is
found.  If it doesn't find it, I believe it halts with an error.

Sakai code generally falls into three clumps:  the kernel (which now a
pre-compiled JAR), tool (ect) sources, and JAR dependencies (libraries
like Apache Commons).  Most of the dependent JARs end up in
CATALINA_HOME/shared/lib.  Compiled tools (etc) end up in
CATALINA_HOME/webapps as WAR files.  There is also a special directory
called CATALINA_HOME/components that contain compiled Sakai components,
again, mostly JARs.  There are some exceptions, like the database
connector, which typically lives in CATALINA_HOME/common/lib.

The installation instructions provided for a release generally, work.
HOWEVER, they have to be followed VERY carefully.  There is also a good
set of installation instructions in the Programmer's Cafe workspace in
Confluence.

Typically, the order of commands is something like this:

"mvn install"  - compiles and builds everything, downloads dependencies
into local repository.
"mvn sakai:deploy" - deploys built objects to your CATALINA_HOME location.

later you can use:

"mvn clean install sakai:deploy - cleans /some /things up before building.

- Mark Norton

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======