[Building Sakai] Ability to collapse portal navigation - SAK-18687

csev csev at umich.edu
Fri Aug 27 11:26:02 PDT 2010

I have started work on SAK-18687 to make this a feature in 2.8.

http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-18687

The JIRA is about collapsing the side navigation from within a tool - and this is a cool feature.

I would like to alter this so that instead of being something a tool requests, it is an option within portal that is always available to collapse or expand the the UI  to only include essential navigation bits.

I have several questions - please answer in the JIRA and optionally on the list as well - but make sure to put them in the JIRA for posterity.

(a) Have you built some code in your Sakai that collapses navigation at the portal level.   If so, could I see screen shots and get code as a patch in the JIRA?

(b) Do you have an opinion as to how this should be done from a UX / graphic design perspective.

Again, please send comments to JIRA.  Like always, If I get no input, I will plow forward and make something and you all will have a chance to review and comment before we freeze 2.8.

/Chuck