[Building Sakai] Sakai utilization metric?

Sean DeMonner demonner at umich.edu
Tue Aug 24 07:35:56 PDT 2010

Jeff,

At U-M we have had Google Analytics pointed at our Gateway and Help files for some time, but as you have noted that doesn't really tell the whole story. Several U-M folks (Leasia, Lonn, Aditya)  gave a well-attended presentation in Denver on the various sources and uses of data from our Sakai instance:

Presentation description:
	https://eventbrainz.com/schedule/presentation/event_id/61/presentation_id/53/proposal_id/1715

Presentation download:
	http://tinyurl.com/33uncvw

As you will see from the presentation, getting useful information from all that data can be challenging; we're hoping to begin working on a more consolidated, and user friendly, Business Intelligence project this Fall.

SMD.

On Aug 24, 2010, at 10:15 AM, Mathieu Plourde wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> John Hall is the person would would know about this at our
> institution. We are not keeping track of a lot, but mostly monitoring
> the server-side activity (logs, active workers, concurrent sessions,
> etc.) to prevent (or explain) infrequent crashes.
>
> I'm forwarding this request to the Sakai Dev list to see if other
> schools have done anything of that nature. We could be interested to
> know as well.
>
> Mathieu
>
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 5:57 PM, Jeff Muday <mudayja at wfu.edu> wrote:
>> Mathieu,
>>
>> I don't think I've had the pleasure of speaking with you before, but
>> have enjoyed your active contribution to the Learning Technology
>> Consortium list.  For a few years I have been exchanging email with
>> John Hall keeping up with things going on at your campus.
>>
>> We just went to full production with Sakai as the sole LMS at Wake
>> Forest.  I would like a veteran's perspective--
>>
>> Do you know of reporting tools that can be used to look at overall
>> Sakai utilization?  I am curious what you all are using at U Del.
>>
>> For individual sites, we are using Site Stats tool, but I am not
>> familiar with a "meta" tool for reporting accesses to the whole Sakai
>> instance.
>>
>> I had been toying with the idea of planting some analytic scripts as
>> users hit the portal (Gateway).  But, to me, this seemed rather
>> primitive and that Sakai must have a better way to do this.
>>
>> thanks,
>> Jeff
>>
>> --
>> Jeff Muday
>> Instructional Technology Analyst
>> Wake Forest University
>> 1834 Wake Forest Rd.
>> Winston Hall Rm. 27
>> Winston Salem, NC 27106
>> mudayja @ wfu . edu
>> p 336.758.6171
>> f  336.758.6004
>>

> --
> =================================
>
> Mathieu Plourde, MBA
> Project Leader, LMS/Instructional Designer
> IT-Client Support & Services
> mathieu at udel.edu
> Office: 302-831-4060

> TOP LINKS:
>
> Technology Troubleshooting: http://www.udel.edu/help
> Sakai at UD Support and Training: http://www.udel.edu/sakai/training

SMD.

Sean DeMonner, IT Senior Project Manager, CTools Implementation Group
Digital Media Commons @ The Duderstadt Center, U-M      (734) 615-9765