[Building Sakai] Vote on SAK-13375 - Defaults for Email Archive in Project SItes

csev csev at umich.edu
Sun Aug 22 07:23:31 PDT 2010

In anticipation of Sakai 2.8, I am cleaning up a few old JIRAs assigned to me.  This JIRA:

http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-13375

It was filed in 2008 by Adam Marshall.

Is a proposal to change the default on who can post to an E-Mail archive in a project site.  Currently project sites and course sites have the same default configuration - Instructor/maintain can send mail and Student/access can only see mail.

Adam postulates (and I agree) that this default makes little sense and the default for project sites should be changed.

But the default has been this way for a *very long time* and so before I change that default, I figure I would give a shout-out to the wisdom of crowds for some input.  There are effectively one of three choices:

1.  Do nothing - leave the default for email archive for project sites alone

2.  Change the default for new installs and document the how to change the default in existing installs using the admin UI (very easy and takes less than 2 minutes)

3.  Change the default for new installs and make a conversion script for 2.8 that changes it for existing installs

If I don't get a conclusive answer from the crowd by Saturday August 29, 2010, I will choose #2.

If you have an opinion on this, put a comment in the JIRA or send me a note.  I will tally the results and go with the wisdom of the crowds on this one.

/Chuck