[Building Sakai] Would you help me resolve the sakai problem

Zhen Qian zqian at umich.edu
Fri Aug 20 07:08:35 PDT 2010

Hi, dev-team:

I am forwarding this request from SJTU(Shanghai JiaoTong University). A
brief summary as follows:

1. v 2.5.4 of Sakai is deployed;

2. content resources were stored inside the database till recently.

3. Starting last Friday, users cannot upload attachments with following
exceptions shown in log file:

WARN: failed to write file from byte-array to database (2010-08-16
23:48:34,078
http-8080-Processor30_org.sakaiproject.content.impl.DbContentService)
org.sakaiproject.exception.ServerOverloadException id=failed to write file
from byte-array to database
 at
org.sakaiproject.content.impl.DbContentService$DbStorage.commitResource(DbContentService.java:1669)

4. Switching to file storage is suggested:  # the file system root for
content hosting's external stored files (default is null, i.e. store them
in the db) # see the readme file (2.2.7 File Based Content Hosting) for
more details bodyPath at org.sakaiproject.content.api.ContentHostingService
=
${sakai.home}content/  # when storing content hosting's body bits in files,
an optional set of folders just within the bodyPath - # to act as volumes
to distribute the files among - a comma separate list of folders. If left
out, no volumes will be used. # see the readme file (2.2.7 File Based
Content Hosting) for more details
bodyVolumes at org.sakaiproject.content.api.ContentHostingService = vol1,
vol2, vol3
convertToFile at org.sakaiproject.content.api.ContentHostingService = true
5. Now user can upload resources, however, they cannot download previous
resources since those are still stored inside database. So the conversion
from db to file system is suggested as the next step, with the setting
inside sakai.properties:
convertToFile at org.sakaiproject.content.api.ContentHostingService = true  6.
However, the following error were encounted during conversion, and cannot
be solved after resetting the folder permissions.  failed to write resource
and D:sakaicurrenttomecatsakaicontent
Access is denied  I found the
following two jiras are related to the content storage conversion:
http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-16146 [1] [2]
http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-164 [3]  And according the previous
Seth's message
(http://collab.sakaiproject.org/pipermail/sakai-dev/2010-March/006235.html),
the latter fix has not been imported back into 2.5 branch yet.  So the
question is: can they still do the conversion with current 2.5.4, or an
upgrade of Sakai is required instead?  Thanks,  - Zhen
D:sakaicurrenttomcatsakaicontent
Access is denied

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 21:21:04 +0800, 黄柒光  wrote: Dear Zhen,
  非常感谢您的关心!

现在还没有完成呢,昨天晚上进行了转换,但转换过程出现如下告警错误:

_failed to write resource:_

 D:sakaicurrenttomcatsakaicontent
Access is
denied

我猜测是由于sakai进程没有读写该文件夹(_D:sakaicurrenttomcatsakaicontent_

)的权限,针对该文件夹,我添加了用户everyone,user,Network,network
server

对该文件夹读,写,完全控制的权限,但还是出现以上告警,是不是还需要添加其他用户对该文件夹的操作权限?谢谢答复!

另外sakai用的版本为2.5.4,如果不转换的话,以前的资料就不能访问,虽然资源会以文件形式保存。
 现在学院在考试,心里很是着急,急盼回复!
 2010/8/20 Zhen Qian

系统现在怎么样?数据转换完成了吗?

-Zhen

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 11:19:01 +0800, 黄柒光  wrote:     Dear zhen,  I
hear from you can speak chinese,so I simply introduce sakai problem in
chinese.because my english is poor.

由于把资源存储形式更改为文件形式,现在上传是可以了,但以前上传的资源却下载不了,以前是以数据库的形式保存的,不知道是什么原因,麻烦帮我看看,另外我发邮件到production at collab.sakaiproject.org
[6],但没有收到答复。
由于现在学院正在考试,以前上传的资源下载不了,老师很学生都很着急,我心里很着急与担心。
 期盼回复!非常感谢!     在 2010年8月18日
下午7:37,黄柒光 写道:    oh,the sakai server system is Window
2003 server.and the JAVA_OPTS value is "-server -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m
-XX:PermSize=128m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -XX:NewSize=192m -XX:MaxNewSize=384m
-Dsakai.demo=false -Dsakai.home=D:sakaicurrenttomcatsakai" and below is the
sakai.porperty about file storage.

 "   # the file system root for content hosting's external stored files
(default is null, i.e. store them in the db) # see the readme file (2.2.7
File Based Content Hosting) for more
details
bodyPath at org.sakaiproject.content.api.ContentHostingService =
${sakai.home}content/  # when storing content hosting's body bits in files,
an optional set of folders just within the bodyPath - # to act as volumes
to distribute the files among - a comma separate list of folders. If left
out, no volumes will be used. # see the readme file (2.2.7 File Based
Content Hosting) for more details
bodyVolumes at org.sakaiproject.content.api.ContentHostingService = vol1,
vol2, vol3
convertToFile at org.sakaiproject.content.api.ContentHostingService = true   "
please help me check it.
   在 2010年8月18日 下午7:23,黄柒光 写道:
 Dear Zhen,
    I have set resource that are stored from db to file system for file
storage,but I cant' access the resources I already had uploaded, if i
upload a new one, it works great.     and I enabled
convertToFile at org.sakaiproject.content.api.ContentHostingService= true ,
There is sakai log in attachment.  I am very worry about not
accessing the
old resource now.    Looking forward to hear from you! Many regards,
HuangQiguang
   在 2010年8月18日 下午5:52,黄柒光 写道:
     Dear zhen,    Thank you very much for your reply!  If resource are
stored from db to file system for file storage,Can download old resource
that stored by db for file storage? Thank you! many Regards, HuangQiguang

   2010/8/18 Zhen Qian

Hi, Mr. Huang:

I am not an expert here for the production jvm tuning. It changes with each
version of Java. You can check the sakai confluence site for more
information:
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+Admin+Guide+-+JVM+Tuning
[11]

I am also cc-ing Anthony here. I think there was a wiki page containing jvm
settings from various universities, but I can no longer find this page.
Anthony maintains the "Sakai Admin Guide" pages and he can give you most
up-to-date suggestions. In the future, you may also want to sent your
production related questions to
_production__ at collab.sakaiproject.org
[12]_, recommended for sysadmins, DBAs, and other technical support staff.

As for switching from db to file system for file storage, here are the
suggestions given by Steve in previous link I sent:

"to store on the filesystem, in sakai.properties you want these two
settings enabled/configured: # the file system root for content hosting's
external stored files (default is null, i.e. store them in the db) # see
the readme file (2.2.7 File Based Content Hosting) for more details
bodyPath org.sakaiproject.content.api.ContentHostingService [13] =
${sakai.home}content/  # when storing content hosting's body bits in files,
an optional set of folders just within the bodyPath - # to act as volumes
to distribute the files among - a comma separate list of folders. If left
out, no volumes will be used. # see the readme file (2.2.7 File Based
Content Hosting) for more details bodyVolumes
org.sakaiproject.content.api.ContentHostingService [14] =
vol1,vol2,vol3
and potentially this one the first time around if you want to convert from
DB to filesystem when you next start up:  #convertToFile
org.sakaiproject.content.api.ContentHostingService [15] = true "

Hope this helps,

- Zhen

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 09:10:49 +0800, 黄柒光  wrote: Dear Zhen,  Thank you
for your reply very much,I check the JAVA_OPTS,its value is  "-server
-Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -XX:PermSize=128m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -XX:NewSize=192m
-XX:MaxNewSize=384m",and the sakai server physical memory is 2G. If I want
the resources are stored in database,How can I modify JAVA_OPTS.   Looking
forward to hearing from you! Best wishes to you! HuangQiguang
 2010/8/17 Zhen Qian

Hi, Mr. Huang:

I found several ServerOverloadException messages in your log file. That
might due to the fact that resources are stored in database instead of file
system and the memory setting of your JAVA_OPTS. The following discussion
may be helpful.

http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.comp.cms.sakai.devel/month=20090401 [18]

Thanks,

- Zhen

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 19:59:20 +0800, 黄柒光  wrote: there is log in
attchment,please check it.Thank you.

 在 2010年8月17日 下午7:51,黄柒光 写道:
 Dear John and Zhen,
  Thank you for your reply,it was wrong since last Friday about not
uploading attachment,the sakai storing files is database,and the database
is oracle10g.    Looking forward to hearing from you! Best wishes to you!
HuangQiguang    Zhen Qian

 在 2010年8月17日 下午7:36,John Leasia 写道:
  Dear HuangQiguang,
 Sorry for your troubles. Can you provide more information?
 Is this a problem you have after a new install of 2.5.4 or is it something
that just started happening?
 Are you storing files in the database or in a file system, and what type
of database?
 Do you see a stack trace or error messages in the logs when this happens?

 I am cc'ing Zhen who speaks Chinese too and who is very
knowledgeable
about the assignment tool. Maybe she has some idea.

 John

 黄柒光 wrote:  Dear jleasia,  I am a sakai administrator of University
of Michigan-Shanghai Jiao Tong University Joint Institute in  china.I am
sorry to trouble you about sakai problem,I can not upload attachment
successfully in tab  assignment or resource,there is alert "Alert:
Operation could not be completed at this time" when upload  attachment in
tab assignments.and there is alert "Alert: Unable to add item: " when
upload attachment in tab  resources,the Sakai version is version 2.5.4.
Would you help me resolve the problem as soon as possible.  Looking forward
to hearing from you! Best wishes to you! HuangQiguang

Links:
------
[1] http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-16146
[2] http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-164
[3] http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-164
[4] mailto:zqian at umich.edu
[5] mailto:huangqiguang at gmail.com
[6] mailto:production at collab.sakaiproject.org
[7]
mailto:huangqiguang at gmail.com
[8] mailto:huangqiguang at gmail.com
[9] mailto:huangqiguang at gmail.com
[10] mailto:zqian at umich.edu
[11]
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+Admin+Guide+-+JVM+Tuning
[12] http://collab.sakaiproject.org
[13]
mailto:bodyPath%20%3Cat%3E%20org.sakaiproject.content.api.ContentHostingService
[14]
mailto:bodyVolumes%20%3Cat%3E%20org.sakaiproject.content.api.ContentHostingService
[15]
mailto:%23convertToFile%20%3Cat%3E%20org.sakaiproject.content.api.ContentHostingService
[16] mailto:huangqiguang at gmail.com
[17] mailto:zqian at umich.edu
[18] http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.comp.cms.sakai.devel/month=20090401
[19] mailto:huangqiguang at gmail.com