[Building Sakai] question about UsageSessionServiceAdaptor refreshUser call

Lydia Li lydial at stanford.edu
Wed Apr 14 11:41:10 PDT 2010

Hi Scott,
When we first upgraded to Sakai 2.4, we also ran into major performance
problems during login because of this. Instead of modifying
UsageSessionServiceAdaptor.java, We modified the
refreshUser() in BaseAuthzGroupService.java and commented out these 2
lines:
// wrap the provided map in our special map that will deal with compound
provider ids
Map providerGrants = new ProviderMap(m_provider,
m_provider.getGroupRolesForUser(eid));

m_storage.refreshUser(userId, providerGrants);

The purpose of these 2 lines is to refresh the sakai realm tables with
the latest information from CM tables. At Stanford we are already doing
it as part of our CM sync quartz jobs so it's not necessary to do it
again. Removing these 2 lines reduced a huge amount of CM calls for us
and improved login performance significantly. One way you can test your
changes is to make some enrollment changes in CM for a user and then
login as that user to see if that same user still sees the exact same
information the second time he/she logs in.

thanks,
Lydia